- 1/4 cup Shortening (Butter and Lard) - 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar - 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 Eggs - 1 & 1/2 tsp. Ginger
- 1 & 1/2 cups Flour - 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Soda - 1/2 cup Karo Syrup
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water
Cream shortening, add sugar gradually and cream together until very light. Beat the eggs until light and add to the shortening and sugar. Mix flour, soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Mix syrup in boiling water and add alternately with the flour mixture to the shortening, sugar and egg mixter. Bake in well greased and floured loaf tin in a low overn (300 - 325 degrees) for 50 - 60 minutes.
See also Ginger Bread II