Saturday 24 May 2014

The Great Radish Famine of 2014

Well, like I said the other day, I was going to be pulling up the radishes but wasn't going to hold my breath. Good thing I didn't! This was just pathetic.
.
Left: Radishes Planted with Carrots (and Cucumbers along the edge) -- Right: Radishes Alone (Climbing Beans along the edge)
.
I had two full containers of radishes, one where I was using the radishes to break the soil for the carrots - and they destroyed my poor little carrots. I certainly won't be trying that "little trick" again. In fact, this whole harvesting of the radishes fiasco is so embarrassing that I hardly want to post the results, but I will because I want to show my mistakes as well as my successes.
.
Spoiled! Drat!
.
The Results of Not Thinning Them Nearly Enough!
.
There were hardly any radishes under there at all. Like I said in my last post, I suspect that I got too greedy and planted them too close together. I thinned them about an inch apart because I seen some other people who were doing it that close, but on the package, it says to thin them two inches apart. Lesson learned: listen to the package, dumb-ass. These were even left in the containers for more than a week longer than what the package recommended, and they still didn't pan out.
.
The Cupboards Will Be Bare!
.
Yup, that's all that two pots produced. However, it is true that all clouds have a silver lining. Check out that one picture of about the only decent radish I pulled. That picture kicks butt! It belongs on a magazine cover!
.
.
Meh. What do you do when you live a shoe? I'll plant some more later this year, since they take such a short time to grow. Next time I will do better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment