Sunday 9 March 2014

Tips for Growing Climbing Beans

Companion Plants to Climbing Beans: Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Corn, Lettuce, Marjoram, Radish

Antagonistic Plants to Climbing Beans: Beets, Chives, Garlic, Onions, Sunflowers
.
***
.
Beans- (per cup cooked beans:) Navy beans have 255 calories; Mung Beans have 212 calories,  Lentils have 230 calories, Pintos have 245 calories, Lima Beans have 216 calories. -- The Prepper Project: "What To Grow To Avoid Starvation and Malnutrition"
.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
The Bean Journal
.
April 19, 2014
.
.
In the next container I have climbing beans and radishes planted. The companion plant chart says that the two go well together. Radishes are really fast growing and should be ready to harvest in around three weeks. When they come out, I'll plant some more carrots in their place. Then, after the carrots come out in the summer, maybe I'll grow some more radishes before the fall..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
May 22, 2014
.
The beans (below centre) have started grasping onto the railing and I'm getting excited to see how well they fill in and provide some shade and privacy for my little perch in the sky. 
.
Middle: Climbing Beans -- Right: Potatoes
.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
June 19, 2014
.
The climbing beans as well came with only six seeds in the package, and of those six only four sprouted... and of those four that came up, two have really gone gang-busters while two have languished (below - bottom left and middle). However, those two that succeeded are really going gangbusters! They climbed right up the railing lickety-split and and gave off several side-shoots that went nuts and grew about an inch a day as well, so the railing is starting to fill in now and I am able to kind of attach them here and there to fill in the bare spots. Next year I will plant more beans because it would have been nice for all six to have gone like those two. After all, how am I supposed to walk around naked on this balcony one day if I can't fill in my railing like a screen?
.
Top Left: Cucumbers -- Top Right & Bottom: Climbing Beans
.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
July 25, 2014
.
The past few weeks have not been kind to me. One of the neighbours had pigeons nesting on their roof, and now that the little buggers are all hatched and half-grown, the entire corner of the apartment complex is plagued by these pesky birds. They are warbling all night, crapping on everyone's decks, and in my case, eating my fricking beans like there's no tomorrow!
.
Death to all the pigeons that ate my beans!
.
When the beans flowered and then began to fruit, I was really excited and thought perhaps I'd bring in 100 or more beans. I was planning on building a root cellar and everything. Then the pigeons came, and within two days ate almost every damn sprouting bean that I had! They left me three beans - yes, only three! Stupid birds didn't even let them grow. I seen the beans come out in one or two days, just tiny little sprouts, and the pigeons came and gobbled them up before they even had a chance to grow. What a disappointment! I went to Wal-Mart and bought one of them fake-owl scarecrows... which seems to work, but it was too late to save the bean crop. What a waste.
.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.

No comments:

Post a Comment